Monday, September 10, 2007

A Nice Ritual

My son had his first day of religious instruction yesterday, well, first day for the new school year. He enjoyed it and I had a number of teachers come up to me and tell me how smart he is and how much he likes to participate (Yes, I’m bragging). But, what impressed me most is what the religious school did after the session was over (and they have done this for the last number of years).

The Men’s club sponsors a picnic for the end of the first day of school. The grill hotdogs and hamburgers, as well as veggie burgers. They have drinks and snack to go along with the picnic food and they have games as well. The bring some of the “bouncy” type equipment that you can rent and the kids climb in and start bouncing all over the place. The picnic is mainly for the school children and their families but it is open to anyone who want to pay the nominal fee.

I have heard of schools where on the first day of school they give the kids something sweet and tell them they hope the rest of the year, and all their learning experiences are just as sweet, kind of like dipping an apple in honey on the New Year, but this is something I have not seen other schools do. I think it is great to provide such a fun environment for the kids on the first day of religious school and I look forward to enjoying this ritual for the next few years to come.

1 comment:

Confessions from the sandwich generation said...

What a refreshing way to start the school year and what a great positive message to send the kids. I think all schools should host some kind of first day celebration to say, "We're excited about this year and you should be too!"