Friday, January 11, 2008

A Great Learning Experience

Last week was a positive experience. My son read Torah and did very well. He enjoyed it very much. I played the part of the proud father, but was truly very proud. After services, when son went up to the person who leads Junior Congregation (services for kids) and asked when the next time was that he could read.

The person who leads Junior Congregation is also my son’s Hebrew school teacher this year. On Sunday, the day after my son had read, she announced that the person who was supposed to read this week had called her to cancel. The teacher asked if any of her students were interested in reading on short notice.

Guess whose hand shot up? That’s right. My son, who had over six weeks to prepare what he had read previously (this was the first available date), was willing to read with less than a week’s practice.

We have been working hard. He will not be reading as much as he did last time and he probably will not be as smooth as he was last time, but that is okay. He is enjoying putting the time and effort in. This has been a great learning experience and hopefully he will continue to want to read Torah. Hopefully he will be able, if need be, to put a reading together with little time.

I was proud last week and I am sure I will be proud this week.

No comments: