Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Kvelling

My son is still a few years away from his Bar Mitzvah. Still, he will be reading Torah this coming Shabbat. In Junior Congregation, the leader offers the kids a chance to read and my son is reading this coming week and he is excited.

They do not read from the Torah. They just read a few lines (she tells the kids they can do anywhere from one to five). They are reading with vowels and not chanting it, but it does not matter. If the average kid is anything like my son, they get very excited and put time and effort in. This is a good habit to get them into.

My son has been practicing for a few weeks and he is insistent that he will be reading all five lines. I have been working with him and he has definitely been hard at work. He has done well but the past few days, it seems like it is all coming together for him. He has picked up speed and is reading with some vocal variety. He sounds good and he is enjoying reading. I, too, am enjoying working with him and hearing him read and seeing it all come together.

My son is already talking about the next time he can read. Me, I am just Kvelling!

No comments: