Monday, July 21, 2008

Barbecues

This past weekend, the family was invited over to some friends for a barbecue. The friends were not Jewish. That, in and off itself, is no big deal. The problem is the food. I will eat dairy food and fish out of the house, as well as Pareve food (food that is neither meat nor milk), unlike some people who keep kosher who insist that all the food must be certified kosher (and that is fine and even makes a lot of sense).

Before the first time we went over, my wife indicated to our friends what I would and would not eat. She said nothing meat or poultry but fish was fine, macaroni and cheese was fine, as well as some other items. Our friends ask my wife about chicken and she told them “no”. Naturally, when I went over, what did they have for me?—Chicken?

This past weekend it was a similar situation. Again, they made chicken for me. I thought it was thoughtful that they went out of their way to do something special for me, but in this instance, it is not like we have not discussed this issue with them.

Hopefully one more conversation will clear this up. I am not sure but I certainly hope so. I would like to avoid a situation where other I am eating food I am not comfortable eating or avoiding eating food that was especially prepared for me.

We’ll see what happens!

No comments: